My Etsy Shop

Friday, December 4, 2020

Tatted Table Runner: Mary Konior's Patchwork, Finished

This table runner is a combination of  Mary Konior's 'Tatting with Visual Patterns', 'Patchwork' pattern, and the magic square version of the tatting pattern. 


It took about 1 and a few months to make this pattern. I believe the finished table runner is 16" x 56". I hated weaving in all the ends from the original squares, so I used the 'magic square' version of the Patchwork square, and modified the stitch counts for that. I finished making the tiny squares, and then to make it the length of a coffee table, I added a magic square on each side.


I tatted this for my mother.

The Magic Square Patchwork is from TattingByTheBay: http://tattingbythebay.blogspot.com/2016/10/mary-koniors-patchwork-as-magic-square.html. I simply added another 'level' of the fractal design.


It is done in what I had at the time: Aunt Lydia's Size 10 crochet cotton. (3 ply). I soaked it in oxyclean to get out misc stains, rinsed it out, and then pinned it. I have to pin out or open up all the picots and that's going to take... forever. I'm procrastinating on it. When I soaked it in oxyclean it got very rigid so I'm not sure if that is the best method.

Next time, I want to use a 6 ply better thread. I've dealt with too many thread breakages when tatting with Aunt Lydia's Size 10. I already have size 20 thread of 6 ply.

I am making side table doilies using the magic square version of the patchwork. I think in future any needlework or yarnwork design I make I will try to make designs that don't need ends that need to be woven in.


jtp/mnr

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous! I've tried tatting, but only small things...Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Basically this is a bunch of small things. The patchwork pattern is great because its a bunch of small motifs you can carry anywhere and then just join!

      Delete

Spring 2024 Renulek Doily part 2

So I'm making progress on this doily! Again, this is the spring 2024 doily by a tatting designer named Renulek .  This is rounds 1- 4 do...